**Disclosure: As per usual during a super important event I had camera trouble- with a brand new camera. So in my attempt to not be freaking bitter, I will put up the photos I have and pretend they are great and not just the ones we could salvage.***
We ran all over the city of Chicago. We bought the city pass and did just about everything in it.
Here is a view of the city from the Sears Tower. No I will not call it the Willis Tower and you cannot make me, but I will occasionally refer to it as Big Willy.
Here am I perched out in the glass box that is off of the Sky Deck. Isn't that crazy?
We also went to many museums ie: The Field Museum of Natural History, The Shedd Aquarium (pictured above are Maren and Samara sitting over the glass walkway of the Manta ray tank),
The Lincoln Park Zoo, The Adler Planetarium (where we had a delicious lunch, who knew?), and The Art Institute. Are your feet tired yet?


These 3 pictures are from our adventures at Navy Pier. Lots of fun, people watching and this crazy bike.
First this is an example of what that hunk of junk camera would do. See how it spliced the picture and then pasted it together wrong? I am not doing a good job of not being bitter, sorry.
Anyway, food. Glorious food. Practically my reason for existing. Well we did a lot of "existing" in Chicago. This picture is from Gino's East Pizza, but we also enjoyed Joy Yee Noodle (twice), Portillo's (sadly only once), Margie's Ice Cream (twice), Potbelly, Chicago hot dogs, Garret's popcorn, and many home packed lunches in between. Alma and I also went on a dinner boat cruise with all of the graduating class- but I am not counting it since I learned that I cannot effectively eat on a boat.
We were very urban with all of our mass transit. We would joke about the many different types of moving vehicles we rode on our trip to Chicago. Planes, trains, elevators, 7-seater bikes, Metra, buses, boats (architectural tour and boat cruise) and cars. Maren and I were still texting each other a week later saying we still felt like we were moving.
Here is a cute picture of us enjoying the night time in this city that glows. We had a great time walking around with Sam and Maren trying to fill Sam's daily quota for ice cream- only to walk about 1.5 miles to find the Coldstone closed.
And now for the real reason we went back to Chicago. GRADUATION!
This is Rockefeller Chapel where the ceremony was held. It was beautiful. The kids called it Hogwarts, and it really kind of was. There were even maroon and gold banners hanging inside.
Bagpipers led the procession for all the faculty and graduating students. I was lucky to have a seat on the end of the aisle so that I could see and get decent photos. Alma looked distinguished and handsome. The speakers kept it short and sweet. Senator Raoul spoke about service- it was a good speech. And then they took their Oath, turned their tassels, and became doctors!
Here are some of those fine looking doctors. I am sure that that was the cool thing to wear when people first started doing this whole ceremony thing- but I guess there is no changing it now.
Fancy Ice Sculpture with the schools seal. I guess that is how Doctors roll.
And finally the happy couple. Dr. and Mrs. Yamamoto.
What a long journey and what a great way to end it.
Now we are off to create more memories in Hawaii. And here is hoping our new new camera doesn't let us down.
The Lincoln Park Zoo, The Adler Planetarium (where we had a delicious lunch, who knew?), and The Art Institute. Are your feet tired yet?
Anyway, food. Glorious food. Practically my reason for existing. Well we did a lot of "existing" in Chicago. This picture is from Gino's East Pizza, but we also enjoyed Joy Yee Noodle (twice), Portillo's (sadly only once), Margie's Ice Cream (twice), Potbelly, Chicago hot dogs, Garret's popcorn, and many home packed lunches in between. Alma and I also went on a dinner boat cruise with all of the graduating class- but I am not counting it since I learned that I cannot effectively eat on a boat.
This is Rockefeller Chapel where the ceremony was held. It was beautiful. The kids called it Hogwarts, and it really kind of was. There were even maroon and gold banners hanging inside.
What a long journey and what a great way to end it.
Now we are off to create more memories in Hawaii. And here is hoping our new new camera doesn't let us down.
6 comments:
Looks like a very fun trip. Yea for Alma for graduating. We had fun at your house and we will definitely have to get together again sometime and not wait 3 years this time. Like Charles said, we are always willing to drive out there, it is not a big deal to us.
Wow, looks like an amazing trip! I don't think we did that much the whole four years we lived in Chicago! I love the picture of you and Alma at night with the city in the background... Very cute! And congrats on offically graduating, Dr. and Mrs. Yamamoto!!! Hope you have a BLAST in Hawaii! I hope your camera works for you too, mostly so I can look at your pictures and live vicariously through you. :)
Congrats, Alma and Amber! You look so happy! Have a great time in Hawaii! Much love from the Parks.
Wow, I swear I thought I left a comment here a LONG time ago, woops :) Looks like the last Chicago trip was a success. Glad you guys had so much fun and Sam,Maren and kids there to help you celebrate Alma's big day. Congratulations Dr. Yamamoto, we love you!
AWESOME TRIP! This makes me so homesick for the city...and then I remember the not so spectacular things (snow, etc), and it definitely helps! Congratulations to Alma! You two look adorable in your cityscape shots and his graduation gown. I can't wait to hear about Hawaii (and hope to see it too if the camera behaves!).
All the Harry Potter references are so cute and funny.
Post a Comment