Monday, May 14, 2012

Kitchen keeping me busy...


Let's talk about where some/a lot of my time has been going recently. I am a confessed DIYer. Well, within reason...I'm not going to change my own oil or rewire electrical. I absolutely believe there are people who do that professionally and they are worth every penny they charge. But I refuse to pay someone to do something that I can reasonably do myself, especially when it saves me thousands of dollars.  With all that being said here are the pictures...
Here is the before.. way before when we first moved in.

Part of the destruction
Part of the process
Finished Product

So happy


A lot of work and time, and I will admit- some tears of frustration and a few swear words. But it is done and I am way happy with the results. We were out of town last weekend and when we walked into the kitchen it really just made me smile! Maybe someday new counter tops and appliances (when the current ones give out) and sink. Until then, look out ugly oak-y banister you are NEXT!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

good for you! When we bought our house there was a lot of cosmetic work to be done. We decided to hire a painter, and even though he was an a$$ I am so glad we did! Paying someone to do the work takes a way some of the headaches, I still had some hard times, but when it was all said and done (faster than we would have done it...even though he took way longer than he said he would), i was so glad we paid those thousands (yes thousands - although the cabinets and trim were only a few hundred) to have it done! We are not good DIY people, so if i saved the money i would spend the rest of my time living there looking at my shoddy work too. I just have to not think of all the fun things I could have done with all the $$$! Yikes. I have decided to throw in the towel on most DIY projects and the ones that I do end up doing on my own end up looking like crap. Your kitchen looks great and instead of envying your talent I will try to think of things that I am good at....hmmmmmm....I am good at reading peoples blogs while dipping crackers in cream cheese.

Courtney said...

It looks very nice, you did a great job!

Angie said...

They look AWESOME!!! Nice job! I have the oak cabinets too, and they drive me insane! Want to come do mine?? :)

Teresa said...

Love it! Super classy. You are a DIY pro. Thanks so much for the pics and updates.