Monday, February 3, 2014

Back to myself

Much has happened in the last 2 months...some great, some really not great at all. At the beginning of December Alma and I had made contact with a birth mother who had chosen us to be the parents to the baby boy due at the beginning of January. We were elated at the idea of becoming parents and so happy to be off the adoption roller coaster. We kicked into high gear with preparations: Baby prep, work leave prep, legal prep, travel prep, financial prep. We made a trip to California to meet the family, breezed through the holidays spending Christmas Day to set up the nursery, and were lovingly showered with gifts by my incredibly generous coworkers. The whirlwind we were in was very reminiscent of our move to Chicago for grad school...crazy, but something we had waited a long time for. Unfortunately, New Year's Eve night we got the call that brought all our plans to a screeching halt. She had changed her mind- simple as that. Changed her mind and broke our hearts. We always knew it was a possibility, we were just so hopeful it wouldn't be a part of our story. It was so hard to be able to mourn/grieve but to try to remain positive and trust that there is something to learn from it all. Just the other day at works a friend gave me a hug and said "Welcome back. This is the Amber I love. I love the other Amber too, but she was so sad. It's nice to see you again!" This brought a smile to my face, and yet made me sad at the same time. I don't like to think that I could be altered so much by the actions of others. So, we are back to our old selves and back on the hunt for the child who is meant to be a part of our family. We are so grateful for our family and friends who through their love and prayers have lifted us up and helped us see all of our many blessings.

3 comments:

Sherri Fiechter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Johnny and Betsye Park said...

Thank you so much for your update. I'm sorry that that happened, and I know you will be incredible parents to the child/children who are meant to be in your family. We love you guys and will continue to pray for your baby to come soon! I also emailed you contact information of some friends who I think would be a good resource on all fronts. They have experienced similar pains during their adoption process. Hugs!!!

Teresa said...

Your experience is heartbreaking, and I absolutely agree with Betsye...You two will make amazing parents when the right child/children arrive. I am so excited for you to become parents, and pray that it comes soon. Thank you for your beautiful Valentine, and we have our eyes open! I was torn apart during our several years of in- vitro... and I am inspired by your strength while enduring so much more. Praying for you!!